Saturday, September 13, 2008

We went home for a little while yesterday!!! We were strolling the hospital, Phil
in his wheelchair, and so bored, so our friend Kathy who is the director here
suggested we take a ride or even go home for awhile. I was first afraid Phil would dig his heels in and not want to leave, but then I decided to take the risk. We picked up our favorite meals from Rafaels and went home for dinner. Phil was so pleased with the changes, he had me roll him into each room so he could look at everything. Then we went to the table for our dinner, it had been so long since we'd done that. We've been gone from home a month now. After I set out all of Phil's food, he reached out his left hand, so I put a bread stick in it. He laid it on his plate and reached out again, so I gave him another bread stick, then he put his hand out again and I put the third (and last!) bread stick there thinking he's going to eat them all! When he put his hand out again I finally realized what he wanted. I put my hand in his and we bowed our heads and he asked the blessing. He couldn't say much but God knew and I knew what a memorable moment that was.

2 comments:

Dannie Watson said...

Hi Butch & Darlene,

So wonderful you were able to take Butch home and have one of your favorite meals. More wonderful that he reached for your hand to have a prayer with you. Hope very soon you two will be able to have many more of those moments at home. Know all the prayers from family and his many friends will help. Love, Dannie

Rich Guye said...

Glad to see you made it home. I, being the expert computer operator I am, just found the site tonight. It's nice to be home. There's a peace that comes from being there that one can't explain nor understand. There's also a peace in knowing that we have the same person to talk to each day. Hope all is well today and for many days to come.