Friday, October 24, 2008

Yesterday was a fantastic day. Phil's speech was so much better, we were able to actually have some conversation time, which is what I've longed for. We spent a lot of time outside, and it was just a super day.Today is back as before, speech and comprehension not as good. But I'm happy for one day, and perhaps there will be others. He did sings two lines of "Happy Birthday" on the telephone to Phillip. That was a pleasant surprise for Phillip and me.

We now have a ramp on the front porch, and tomorrow we'll have our coffee out there even if it is 40 degrees! Out contractor, Cliff, was here to finish up some work in the living room and dining room where we've removed walls to make everything open; Phil and I had planned to have ceiling fans put on the porch, but I told Cliff to forget the fans and just build us a ramp. And he did.

Phil now travels about 20 miles an hour in his wheelchair using one arm and one leg. He's happiest in the garage where he can smoke and move without running into furniture (though I rearranged furniture again today to make more room for him). I catch him sitting at the garage door - at the top of the ramp - and those who have known him a long time probably agree that one day he's going to take the plunge down that big ramp by himself and crash at the bottom. I've threatened him with a sure trip to the hospital again if he does that, but I'm thinking of a way to make that door 'Phil-proof'.

Phil's friend Walt was here today, and I got a nap! Thanks, Walt.

A special note to Brad and Nickie - Phil carried your phone numbers with him until he went to bed, they're laying on his bedside table where put them when he laid down.

No comments: